Highway 41 Accident Leaves Two Men Dead

Published 04/09 2014 10:29PM

Updated 04/09 2014 10:33PM

An accident shuts down Highway 41 for hours, and claims the lives of two Evansville men. The names of those two victims are 21-year-old Jacob Nelson, and 25-year-old Sean Malicoat.

The accident involved a semi and a car Officials say it's one of the worst accidents several veterans on the police department have ever seen.

The Vanderburgh County Coroners office says, Jacob Nelson of Evansville, died at the scene of the accident at Highway 41 and Washington. Nelson's passenger, 25 year old Sean Malicoat of Evansville, died a short time later at St. Mary's Hospital. "In talking with other officers that have been here for several years, that's a comment that has been repeated several times. This is a very tragic accident, very substantial, and very unfortunate for those involved." Sergeant Jason Cullum with the Evansville Police Department says it's one of the worst accidents several officers on the department have ever seen. "The driver did not appear to be in control of the vehicle. His head was tilted back, his eyes were closed, and the witness could actually hear the passenger yelling at the driver to wake up," says Cullum.

Officials say the two were in a Lexus. Jacob Nelson was driving west on Washington Avenue, when witnesses say, he swerved around a line of cars sitting at the stop light. Witnesses say the car sped out into the intersection of Highway 41, and that's when the car crashed into the back of a semi that was heading north, through a green light. "This is the condition that the car was in when the first responders got here. This was not the work of the fire department using the jaws of life," says Cullum.

Officials say the Lexus went under the back of the semi, peeling back the hood of the car, the semi's tires running over the seats. When crews arrived, Nelson was ejected from the vehicle, Malicoat was in the passenger's seat. "This isn't something that we wanted the kids to witness." The accident happened around two-thirty, near Bosse High School, and shut down the intersection for about four hours.

"I heard a crash." Michele Fellows says she witnessed the accident. "It was so terrible. The car I thought, was a convertible, but as you can see it's not." Officials say the semi driver was not injured, and add it could be a while until investigators are able to piece together what happened in those few moments leading up to the deadly collision.

Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.