It started with a family cooking dinner and ended with the loss of their home on Riverside Drive due to a grease fire.
Now the family has to find a new home and the Evansville Fire Department wants people to realize the dangers of grease fires.
"It only takes about seventeen seconds for a fire to double in its energy capacity,” said Chief Dan Grimm.
How fast can you call 9-1-1? Seventeen seconds may be all you get.
A grease fire can't only take over your kitchen, but your entire house, like it did on Riverside Drive.
Now Evansville Fire Battalion Chief Dan Grimm is trying prevent more grease fires.
"Usually by the time people realize that they have a grease fire they got distracted by a little one or someone made a phone call and stepped in the other room,” said Chief Grimm.
Even though flames consumed the house Sunday night, everyone made it out safely.
"Don't take a rag and put on it that just fuels the fire,” said Chief Grimm.
But there are some ways to not add fuel to the fire, like calling 911, removing the pan form the heat source, or using a fire extinguisher when its safe.
"People get real close and it will blow the grease out , now you have grease everywhere,” said Chief Grimm.
Aaron Hauser works for Koorsen Fire and Security, a business that specializes in fire extinguishers.
"The main thing is if you don't have a fire extinguisher you need to get one. Its going to save you and it will give you a discount on your insurance for having one in your house,” said Hauser.
Firefighters urge everyone cooking with grease to be cautious or be prepared to call 911 in a hurry.
AAA says a record number of people will be traveling this…
North Middle School in Henderson welcomed a special guest on Tuesday.
The owner of Cool Breeze Vapors says Evanvsille Police have arrested…