Health officials in Marion County confirm an outbreak of shigellosis, which can cause abdominal cramping and diarrhea.
The germ can be transferred at pools when people:
- Swim while currently, or recently, experiencing diarrhea
- Change diapers at pool sides
- Do not shower before using the pool or fail to properly wash after using the restroom
- Drink pool water
Vanderburgh County Health officials say there have been no reports of shigellosis in Evansville but remind people to maintain healthy swimming habits. Swimmers should remember to:
- Stay out of the pool if currently or recently ill, especially with diarrhea
- Change diapers only in bathrooms and wash hands thoroughly afterwards
- Shower before entering the pool and wash their backsides well since fecal matter can remain even after wiping.
- Refrain from drinking pool water as the chlorine does not instantly kill germs
Those with questions or concerns regarding pools should contact the Vanderburgh County Health Department at (812) 435-5695.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.