Report Flood Damage Before Repairs Begin

Published 04/04 2014 04:48PM

Updated 04/04 2014 04:51PM

Many tri-state homes were damaged from last night's floodwaters. Before you repair your home, you might need a building permit.

Building Commissioner Ben Miller reminds residents that repairing flood damage often requires a building permit.
Also, you might need an inspection before you start repairs, or you could be breaking the law.

“Property owners should contact the Building Commission and submit a Flood Damage Report Form before starting flood reconstruction activities,” Miller said.

“The Building Commission staff, in partnership with the Emergency Management Agency, will dispatch certified building inspectors to assess and report the damage.”

Inspectors will document damage for the city and county’s participation in the Federal Emergency Management  Agency National Flood Insurance Program.

After the damage is recorded, Building Commission staff can provide help residents determine requirements for repairs and permits.

If you have flood damage, you can call the Building Commission at 812-436-7867 or

Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.