Tragic House Fire Leaves Depoy Residents Stunned

Published 01/30 2014 06:07PM

Updated 01/30 2014 10:18PM

"I'm just numb, more or less," says Clarence Humphrey of Depoy.

Numb. Not from the cold, but from the cold reality of what happened at this Motes Lane house.

"I heard sirens everywhere," says Humphrey. "I got up to look to see what was going on. I looked out my back window there and saw the house engulfed in flames."

Laura Bennett saw one of the other children she identified as Samuel no less than 10 hours before the fire.

"He was sitting right there, on the couch. He was in a good mood," she recalled. "He was playing with the puppies because our German Shepherd just had puppies."

Bennett says the fire's left her at a lost for words.

"I don't know what to think of it," she says. "It's horrible. It's horrible."

Neighbors say they'd frequently see the children playing outside their home.

"My wife, back in the warm weather, we would walk around the block, and two or three of the kids were always riding bikes," Humphrey adds.

But now, the streets, and the community's heart, will be a little more empty. But some hope the community will help fill that emptiness however they can.

"i think a lot of people will help these people, support them in anyway they can," says Clarence.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Featured Coupon

.