ISP Trooper Among Three Injured In Serious Crash

The accident happened shortly after four o'clock Monday evening on Interstate-64 about a mile east of the Poseyville exit.
Three people are injured, including an Indiana State Trooper, in a serious crash in Posey County. The accident happened shortly after four o'clock Monday evening on Interstate-64 about a mile east of the Poseyville exit.

"When you get the word that a fellow trooper was involved in a crash, especially a serious crash, it really makes you stop and think. Believe me there were a lot of things going through my mind as I traveled the 40 minutes to get here. Thankfully though he's talking now and it looks like he's going to be OK," said Sgt. Todd Ringle, Public Information Officer for Indiana State Police. "Our biggest concern right now is that other driver. And you know our thoughts and prayers are with her and her family and we hope that she pulls through."

Sgt. Ringle says Trooper Wes Alexander was traveling west on I-64 when he activated his lights and crossed the grassy median separating the east- and west- bound lanes. As he entered the passing lane of eastbound I-64, investigators say he struck a car driven by Sherri Jones, 63, and John Jones, 64, both of Louisville. The couple is being treated at Deaconess Hospital for serious injuries. Officials confirm Trooper Alexander is being treated there for a non-life threatening head injury.

Meanwhile, Ringle acknowledges that many questions remain about the moments leading up to the crash.

"We've tried talking to our trooper, but for obvious reasons he just doesn't remember a lot. We'll give him a day or two to recuperate and hopefully we'll find out what happened this afternoon," said Ringle. "At this point we know that he wasn't responding to a call because he wasn't dispatched to anything, but it's very possible that he was trying to chase down a violator. Our policy is that we don't necessarily have to let dispatch know when we're chasing someone or initiating a traffic stop."

The accident shut down the eastbound lanes for about four hours as troopers worked to investigate the crash. The road reopened shortly after 8 p.m. Monday.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

"Like" Eyewitness News on Facebook to get realtime local news updates in your Facebook feed!

Follow Eyewitness News on Twitter to get up to the minute local news coverage in your timeline!

Find local businesses, restaurants, classifieds, and activities happing across the Tristate!

Sign up here to receive mobile alerts for school closings, severe weather, and more!

Share your photos and videos with the Eyewitness News team!