Owner Larry Goebel says his son saw lightning hit the barn, sending sparks for yards. He tried to put the flames out with a fire extinguisher, but they became too large.
He says the fire department scattered the straw and kept watering it to make sure it was out.
"This time it was lucky," said Goebel. "We wouldn't have been home, it wouldn't have been lucky. It'd have been gone. If we'd have just been 10 minutes, it'd have been gone."
Goebel says lightning had also hit the barn that stood in that spot a hundred years ago. It burned down that time. He says he's glad this barn was more fortunate.