Crews were called to the 67-hundred block of Highway 416 around 5:30 near Robards.
A passerby saw smoke and flames coming from the house.
When firefighters arrived, they quickly got the fire under control. They say the furnace system on the west side of the house caught the outside wall on fire.
Officials are warning everyone with the cold temepratures to be extra careful with electrical outlets and have your furnaces and chimneys checked.
Chief David Denton/Robards Community Fire Department: "Make sure everybody...try not to use very many extension cords if any at all because everybody is going to be using space heaters with this cold weather coming up, it's going to be a dangerous situation especially for firefighters I think."
Crews say there were earlier reports of electrical problems with the furnance. Nobody was home at the time except for a dog, which was rescued.