This can be a fun way to earn some extra cash or credit on products you love, but consultants can also the target for fraud, so the BBB hopes to provide a few tips to help keep consultants safe.
How can fraud occur?
For whatever reason, you may be contacted by someone outside your normal friend or client base, requesting to make a purchase. They will place their order, but in the end, send a check that is greater than the amount actually due. Whether by “mistake” or other sited reason, they will then ask for the over-payment to be wired back. The stories for all circumstances can be convincing and may even pull on heart-strings.
Tips from the BBB for Home Consultants:
· Be leery of checks received from unknown individuals.
· Do not accept a check for more than the merchandise costs.
· Never cash a check and return money to an unknown purchaser.
· Do not wire money to anyone you do not know.
· If you have a concern with a check, consider talking to your bank
· Victimized? Contact the FDIC at 877-275-3342 or contact your BBB for more resources.