Just before 12:30 Tuesday morning, an Evansville Police Officer reported seeing smoke and flames at 112 East Iowa Street. That's when the homeowner, Robert Shadrick, found the officer.
Shadrick says he was asleep during the fire and was alerted by his German Shepherd's barking outside. Shadrick was then able to make it out of the home safely.
Firefighters say the home suffered a lot of damage, but say it could have ended a lot worse.
Fire investigator Richard Howard told Eyewitness News, "I was explaining the damage to him. but I said, you know you're alive. And as i was walking through there, I was thinking to myself, he was lucky to get out."
Investigators believe the fire started in the kitchen near a dryer.