MOUNT PLEASANT, Wis. -Investigators think a house fire in Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin was sparked by a snow blower.
Crews from several different fire departments spent the morning battling flames at the home after the garage caught fire.
Homeowner George Pfister said his snow blower wouldn't start so he sprayed it with a lubricant.
Minutes later a fire ignited. Firefighters said they think a heater in the garage may have spread the flames.
"I grabbed the phone and called 911 and they said, 'Get the wife out of the house.' Just me and the wife, and she had a stroke in February, so she's paralyzed on the right side," Pfister said.
"The fire was starting to come through the garage and into the house, so we had to do some overhaul work in the house. They had natural gas service to the garage for a heater and that line burned away," said South Shore Fire Department Battalion Chief Steve Salvo.
Firefighters said the nearest hydrant was about 1,800 feet up the street. They said the cold weather and the location of the hydrant caused a delay in tackling the flames.
Pfister and his wife won't be able to live in the home for some time. Their cars were severely damaged, but Pfister said it's all replaceable.
"Just things. Just personal things. It can all be replaced. We're safe, so thank the Lord, we're safe," he said.
The local American Red Cross has volunteered to help Pfister and his family.