CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WNCN) — Win No. 880 for Roy Williams will have to wait a few more days.
The win would’ve put Williams ahead of mentor and former colleague Dean Smith on the NCAA’s all-time wins list but Jeff Capel’s Pittsburgh Panthers had other ideas.
UNC dropped to 1-3 in ACC play and 8-7 overall following the 73-65 loss to Pitt.
Junior forward Garrison Brooks led the way for the Tar Heels with a double-double, scoring 21 points and grabbing 10 rebounds in the contest.
Armando Bacot and Brandon Robinson were the only other Tar Heels to score in double figures.
On the other end, it was a good night for the Panthers as they got 24 points from Trey McGowens, nearly topping his season-high of 25 points. Justin Champagnie and Xavier Johnson also helped pace the Panthers with 22 and 17 points, respectively.
The Tar Heels are still trying to find their way after dealing with a slew of injuries to key players.
UNC will get a visit from the Clemson Tigers on Saturday. Tip-off is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.
- 100 American Airlines flight attendants test positive for coronavirus
- Earl Graves Sr., founder of Black Enterprise magazine, dies
- Census sends paper forms to laggards as Midwest sets pace
- Masked crowds fill streets, trains after Wuhan lockdown ends
- Holcomb signs executive order allowing retired, inactive EMS professionals to help fight COVID-19