For his service and bravery, he has earned the highest honor: the Medal of Honor.

Author Jonathan Mayberry once wrote, “Moments, in which everything they are and everything they may possibly become, hinge on a single decision.”

For Muhlenberg County Sheriff Deputy Terry Vick, his moment was February 27, 2012.

“It was domestic violence situation that we responded to between a father and a son,” said Vick. “It was something that we had a risk of our life being in danger.”

Nearly three years later, it’s a moment Terry still struggles to talk about. On that day, guns were drawn, shots were fired, and Terry made it home alive. For his heroism and bravery, he was awarded the highest honor.

“Myself, Curtis McGehee the sheriff, and Troy Gibson our drug detective,” said Vick, “were presented with the Medal of Honor award for what had taken place on that date.”

Terry says the foundation for his bravery and service began 20 years ago when at age 18, he joined the Marine Corp.

“If it wasn’t being in the Marine Corp and I was helping out the nation,” said Vick, “I’m lucky to be in the job that I am that I can help my own community. So what I took from my training, I’m out here to assist the youth all the way to the elderly of what I know and what I can do.”

Terry says he often thinks about what happened on February 27, 2012. Afterall, it was a moment that changed his life and a oment that earned him the medal of honor. But the award he cherishes most are the moments he’s with his wife and two children.

“God’s pretty well blessed us,” said Vick, “us and our kids. I do this job everyday. And if I can make it home to my family, I consider it a blessing.”

And so, we salute Terry Vick for serving our community behind the badge.