He’s been in the Army National Guard for 18 years and has served two tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

“I got off the plane at Evansville,” said Mt. Carmel Police Detective Sgt. Ryan Turner, “came off the plane and walked up and my daughter. She was 4-years-old at the time, and she didn’t really understand. She knew I was overseas and things to Skype, and we’ve got to talk. But then the emotions, it’s hard to describe.”

When Ryan Turner isn’t serving his community, he’s serving his nation in the Army National Guard. Through 2005 to 2006, Turner served with the infantry in Iraq. Then from 2010 to 2011, he was in Afghanistan with a military intelligence group. In fact, Turner was in Afghanistan the night the world learned Osama Bin Laden was killed by U.S. Navy Seals.

“It was an interesting day,” said Turner. “Everybody’s mood was very jovial, I guess. But then we knew just because one person was dead, we still had a fight on our hands.”

Now back in Mt. Carmel, Turner says he loves serving his community as a detective. It’s a job where he can connect with people on a personal level.

“There’s individuals that you’ve touched their lives or made their life a little better,” said Turner, “and that’s why I like being a police officer more than anything.”

And when Turner can catch a break from serving his community and country, he says he loves spending time with his wife and three young daughters. Especially when that time is spend cheering on the St. Louis Cardinals.

“We try to make it to Busch Stadium several times a year,” said Turner. “Try to raise them right by making them Cardinals fans.”

And being a Cardinals fan is exactly the way Turner was raised.

“Since I was a little boy,” said Turner, “my dad was a huge Cardinals fan and that’s what we watched during the Summer months, what was on TV. And some of my fondest memories are going to Busch stadium.”

And it’s in his office in Mt. Carmel where he keeps some of those fond memories. They’re on his desk, they’re hanging on the wall.

“I’m very proud of my military service,” said Turner, “and of course I’m a big Cardinals fan so those are the two things that i try to surround myself with.”

So, Eyewitness News salute Ryan Turner for serving our community and country behind the badge.