He serves the community of Henderson as a detective, coach, and more importantly a husband and father.

40 hours a week for 52 weeks of the year was all the time needed for Shannon Troutman to be named “Officer of the Year.”

“I won it for 2013,” said Henderson Police Detective Troutman, “but I’ve held the title through all of 2014 and then someone else will get to unseat me this year.”

But 40 hours as a detective pales in comparison to how much time he spends working with the city’s youth.

“I want them to look at me as a person,” said Troutman, “that, ‘My Goodness, this guy was influential in my life and he was a police officer, and I really trusted him.’ And that’s what I want to develop that amongst as many youth as I possibly can. So, I volunteer, I coach in basketball, and I coach in softball. I’ve actually coached in soccer, which I know nothing about.”

And just like that, Henderson’s Officer of the Year becomes a child’s “Person of the Year”. And nothing demonstrates that more than what took place last week when Troutman attended a high school basketball game.

“There were at least four or five kids at different points,” said Troutman, “probably a total of 20 throughout the night come up to me and give me hugs. That is great. Not only is it great for the kids, but it’s great for the community and the other people who know that I’m a police officer to see that, to see that there’s this many people that entrust me, to see that I’m out trying to make a difference and that I’m not on the clock.”

But the kids Troutman is most smitten with are his own. Two girls who are just as active as him.

“My kids will go from one sport to the next sport to the next,” said Troutman. “We don’t ever have anytime off, but I love it that way.”

Although his year as top cop has come to an end, Troutman says he’ll always continue the honor of being a father, coach, and mentor.

“I want my kids to be proud of me,” said Troutman, “because of the influencing that I’m doing away from my job, that I’m trying to, that I’m a good family man, that I’m a good God-fearing person, that I try to make a difference not neccessarily when I wear the badge but all the time. That it’s something I’m trying to make an impression on everyone not just 40 hours a week.”

And so, we salute Detective Shannon Troutman for serving our community behind the badge.