(WEHT)- Dr. Ngozi Ezike says the Illinois Department of Public Health is looking into removing inaccurate numbers from the state’s official COVID-19 toll.
Ezike says that while a majority of the reported deaths came from a COVID-19 related illness, a small number of those deaths may have come from patients who tested positive but died from unrelated reasons, like a gunshot wound or a car accident.
However, if someone died with cancer and COVID-19, they would still be included in the COVID-19 death total. Doctors say that data is important for scientists to examine how the virus attacks patients.
(This story was originally published on May 14, 2020)
- EPD: One injured in motorcycle wreck
- Gov. Andy Beshear announces second highest number of COVID cases since beginning of pandemic
- Homes burned as winds push California fire into desert floor
- Carpenters wow public with medieval techniques at Notre Dame
- GOP senators confront past comments on Supreme Court vote