ILLINOIS (WEHT) Several U.S. Representatives from Illinois sent a letter to Congress urging them to prevent governors from withholding federal funds appropriated by Congress for local municipalities that allow their small businesses to reopen in accordance with federal health guidelines, but ahead of arbitrary timelines outlined by states.
U.S. Representatives John Shimkus (IL-15), Darin LaHood (IL-18), Adam Kinzinger (IL-16), Rodney Davis (IL-13), and Mike Bost (IL-12) sent the letter.
Earlier this week, Governor Pritzker threatened to withhold federally appropriated funding to localities that try to reopen against the state’s timeline.
(This story was originally published on May 15, 2020)
LATEST CORONAVIRUS WATCH NEWS:
- Cemeteries prepare for Memorial Day
- Coronavirus slams couple struggling to feed young daughter
- Memorial Day weekend draws crowds and triggers warnings
- WATCH: Health experts answer your questions on ‘Coronavirus House Calls’ | May 24
- Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker releases business guidelines ahead of new reopening phase