FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky officials say a coal miner was killed while working at a surface mine in Bell County.
The state Energy and Environment Cabinet says Douglas Slusher died Friday after being struck in the chest when a coupling failed on a hydro gun he was operating. Officials say he was working at the Double Mountain Mining #3 “Strata” mine.
The 48-year-old Slusher, of Calvin, Kentucky, was given CPR but died on site.
Officials say operations at the mine were shut down after the death and will be suspended while an investigation continues. The state sent investigators to the mine.
(This story was originally published on October 10, 2020)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS:
- WATCH LIVE: Gov. Andy Beshear gives daily COVID-19 update
- WATCH LIVE: Gov. Pritzker holds a press conference
- Water Utility, Public Works Dept. remind property owners not to put leaves in street
- Drive-thru Trunk or Treat for kids and car enthusiasts
- Old National Bank to begin renovations on 123 Main building