(WEHT) – Lent starts next week. Many that observe Lent opt for fish on Fridays instead of eating meat or poultry. Here’s a handy list of fish fries in the Tri-State, courtesy of Timothy J. Lilley with the Catholic Diocese of Evansville.
- St. Francis Xavier Parish, Vincennes, 4:30-7 p.m., Feb. 28, St. Vincent Lounge; catfish fillets or crab cakes, choice of 2 sides: black bean salad, scalloped potatoes, baked beans, cornbread, drink and dessert; $12/person.
- St. Francis Xavier Parish, Vincennes, 4:30-7 p.m., March 13, St. Vincent Lounge; catfish fillets or shrimp, potato salad, baked beans, hush puppies, drink and dessert; $12/person.
- St. Francis Xavier Parish, Vincennes, 4:30-7 p.m., March 27, St. Vincent Lounge; catfish fillets or shrimp, potato casserole, homegrown sweet corn, hush puppies, drink and dessert; $12/person.
- St. Benedict Cathedral Parish, Evansville, Knights of Columbus Fish Fry, 5-7 p.m., every Friday Feb. 28- April 3, St. Ben’s Cafeteria; fried and baked fish, fiddlers, cheese pizza, macaroni and cheese, slaw, German potato salad, green beans, French fries and homemade desserts; $10/adults, $5/kids (14 and younger); carry out and drive-thru available.
- Holy Redeemer Parish, Evansville, 5-7 p.m, March 6 and 20, April 3, Activity Center; baked or fried whitefish, creamy cole slaw, baked beans, German potato salad, macaroni and cheese, cheesy biscuits, dessert, drink; Children’s menu: cheese pizza or half fish, one side, apple sauce, dessert, drink; $11/adults, $5/children, 4 and under free; carry-out and drivethru available.
- St. Clement Parish, Boonville, 4:30-7 p.m., Feb. 28, March 6, 13, 20 and 27, April 3, St. Clement Social Hall; two pieces fried or baked fish, corn bread, cole slaw, drink and dessert, plus choice of two sides: green beans, baked beans, potato salad or macaroni and cheese; $10/youth and adult, $5/child.
- St. John the Baptist Parish, Newburgh, 4:30-7 p.m., Fridays of Lent, Feb. 28 – April 3; sponsored by Knights of Columbus Council 8746 and St. John Men’s Club; baked, fried or grilled fish, cheese pizza, multiple sides; $11/adults, $5/children 4-12, younger than 3 eat free; carry-out available.
- St. Bernard Parish, Rockport, 5-7 p.m., March 13; $10/adults, $5/children in grades kindergarten – 4; preschool and younger free.
- Divine Mercy Parish, St. Anthony Church, St. Anthony, 4:30-7 p.m., Feb. 28, Parish Center; fish sandwich, potato wedges, slaw, drink and dessert; $9; dine-in or carry-out; proceeds benefit June Mission Trip; sponsored by Divine Mercy G2 Youth Group.
- Holy Family Parish, Jasper, starting at 4:30 p.m., Feb. 28 and March 13, Holy Trinity School East Campus; fish, German fries, bread, slaw and drink; $10; dine-in, drive-thru and carry-out available.
- St. Isidore Parish, St. Peter Celestine Church, Celestine, 4:30-6:30 p.m., March 6, dine-in, drive-thru or carry-out available. St. Francis of Assisi Parish, St. Nicholas Church, Santa Claus, 4-7 p.m., Feb. 28 and March 20; grilled salmon.
- St. Francis of Assisi Parish, St. Joseph Church, Dale, 4-7 p.m., March 6 and April 3; fish tacos. St. Francis of Assisi Parish, Mary Help of Christians Church, Mariah Hill, 4-7 p.m., March 13 and 27; swai fish.
- St. Benedict Brew Works, Ferdinand, 4:30-8 p.m., every Friday in Lent Feb. 28 – April 3, Sisters of St. Benedict Event Center; all-you-can-eat fish, cheese pizza, hushpuppies, waffle fries, cole slaw, vegetables, homemade dessert from St. Meinrad Archabbey Bakery; tea and lemonade, craft beer; three types of fried fish will rotate weekly: swai, haddock, pollock, cod, catfish and tilapia; $12/adults, $6/children (ages 6-12), younger than 6 eat free; carry-out meals available; call 812-998-2337 for more information.
- St. Joseph Parish, Vanderburgh County, 5-7 p.m., March 6 and 13; cod fillets, baked beans, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, slaw or applesauce, cornbread, tea, lemonade and coffee; $11/adults, $6/children 12 and younger; dine-in and carry-out available.
- St. Matthew Parish, Mount Vernon, 5-7 p.m., March 13 and 20; St. Matthew School cafeteria; fish, French fries, hush puppies, slaw, potato salad, baked beans, macaroni and cheese, cheese pizza, soft serve ice cream, dessert, beverage; $9/adults, $6/children; carry-out available.
- St. Philip Parish, Posey County, 4:45-6:30 p.m., carry-out; 5-7 p.m., dining room, April 3. St.
- Wendel Knights of St. John Fish Fry, 5-7 p.m., Feb. 21, March 20, St. Wendel Knights of St. John Home, Wadesville; fried cod, potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, macaroni and cheese, corn bread and drink; grilled cheese available; drive-thru available; for more information, call 812-963-6159.
- Holy Cross Parish, Fort Branch, 4:30-7:30 p.m., March 6, Holy Cross Cafeteria; fried fish, baked cheesy potatoes, green beans, apple sauce, slaw, corn bread, dessert; $9/adults, $4.50/children; carry-out available.
- St. James Parish, Haubstadt, 4:30-7:30 p.m., Feb. 28 and March 13, Madden Hall; fried or baked fish, German potato salad, baked beans, macaroni and cheese, slaw, applesauce, cornbread, dessert, grilled cheese sandwich offered for dine-in only, coffee or tea; $10/adults, $5/children; carry-out available.
(This story was originally published on February 20, 2020)