Since much of the area is under a flood watch through tomorrow, here are some guidelines from AAA Auto Club on how to stay safe.
- The depth of standing water during a storm can be deceiving. Motorists should never drive through standing water at any depth.
- Should you encounter standing water on the road, your safest course of action is always to simply turn the car around and avoid it altogether.
- No matter how familiar you may be with the road, never drive through standing water, at any depth, as it could cause serious damage to your vehicle.
- Reduce the chance of hydroplaning by slowing down.
- Allow ample stopping distance between cars by increasing following distance of the vehicle in front of you.
- Avoid using your Cruise Control.
- To prevent loss of traction, the driver may need to reduce the car’s speed by lifting off the accelerator, which cannot be accomplished when cruise control is engaged.
(This story was originally published on October 31, 2018)