BOSTON (WPRI) — Police are investigating after a statue of Christopher Columbus was beheaded in Boston overnight.
The statue is located at Christopher Columbus Park right on Boston Harbor.
The statue has been defaced twice before in recent memory.
In 2015, the statue was covered in fake blood and had the phrase “Black Lives Matter” spray-painted on its base. In 2006, the head was stolen off the statue and was missing for about a week before it was recovered and repaired.
There has been no word on any arrests in the most recent incident.
During protests over the past few days, statues of figures connected to slavery have been toppled and vandalized around the world.
(This story was originally published on June 10, 2020)
- Americans sweet on chocolate, baked goods during pandemic, study finds
- Tropical Storm Zeta forecast to intensify into hurricane as it enters Gulf
- Indiana’s COVID-19 hospitalizations highest since April
- Police looking for driver who flipped car
- Henderson man arrested after dropping drugs in front of police