DALLAS (Nexstar/AP) — Leaders in several states, including Illinois, have ordered residents to wear masks in public in a course reversal amid an alarming resurgence of coronavirus cases nationwide.
The following is a list of states where masks are required in public when social distancing is not possible:
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
This list comes from volunteer group masks4all.co. The group noted some states require masks for state employees, but not for the general public.
Among cities implementing the face-covering orders is Jacksonville, Florida, where President Donald Trump plans to accept the Republican nomination in August. Trump has refused to wear a mask during visits to states and businesses that require them.
On Monday, Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Trump should order the wearing of masks.
“States that were recalcitrant … are doing a 180, and you have the same states now wearing masks,” Cuomo said. “Let the president have the same sense to do that as an executive order, and then let the president lead by example and let the president put a mask on it, because we know it works.”
(This story originally published on July 7, 2020)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS
- Nick Foles on joining the Bears: ‘Let’s just play ball, man. I love this offense.’
- Motivated Mitchell Trubisky focused for his first Bears’ QB competition
- Bears safety Jordan Lucas opts out of the 2020 season
- WATCH LIVE: Hopkins County officials give weekly coronavirus update
- ‘Olympic athletes are dying:’ Doc sheds light on suicide among Olympians