INDIANA (WEHT) All jury trials in the southern district of Indiana are suspended through at least Aug. 31 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Some jury trials may resume on Sept. 1.
While jury trials have been suspended, the courthouses remain open and other in-person proceedings, including plea and sentencing hearings, are taking place. Certain limitations and restrictions remain in effect, such as the mandatory wearing of face coverings in all public spaces (except for individuals with medical exemptions, or those excused from wearing a face covering in a courtroom by the presiding judge).
The Court also continues to hold certain proceedings, such as initial appearances and detention hearings, as well as civil conferences, via video conference and telephonically.
(This story was originally published on July 29, 2020)
LATEST INDIANA NEWS:
- Several Evansville apartment residents still waiting for utility assistance
- Indiana Department of Environmental Management seeks nominations for environmental awards
- 17-year-old arrested in Indianapolis killing of 6 people, including unborn child
- Vincennes University partnering with high schools in Taiwan
- ‘Mass murder’ leaves 6 dead on Indy’s near northeast side; 1 juvenile hospitalized