EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT) — Vanderburgh County Coroner Steve Lockyear said Rylan Conway, 16, died from a single gunshot wound to the torso. Conway was fatally shot Sunday evening on the 1100 block of Powell Avenue.
Authorities say Eriyon Gibson, 19, was arrested and charged with reckless homicide in connection to the Sunday night shooting. Evansville Police say three people were in a bedroom when it happened.
Investigators say Gibson told them that he and Conway were playing with a gun. Police say Gibson told investigators Conway unloaded the gun, letting the bullets hit the floor. Then Conway gave the gun back to Gibson. Gibson said he thought the gun was empty when he pointed it at Conway and pulled the trigger several times. One of those times, a bullet fired, hitting Conway.
Conway was taken to the hospital where he died. Gibson is being held in the Vanderburgh County Detention Center without bond.
(This story was originally published on July 5, 2020)
LATEST CRIME NEWS:
- At least 31 law enforcement officers in 12 states tied to storming of the Capitol
- Illinois woman sentenced to 18 months prison in medical hoax
- Man critically injured in stabbing on Evansville’s South Side
- Two injured in drive-by shooting on the Lloyd Expressway
- Evansville man faces multiple charges after police say he shot up his own house