EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT) — Vanderburgh County Coroner Steve Lockyear said Rylan Conway, 16, died from a single gunshot wound to the torso. Conway was fatally shot Sunday evening on the 1100 block of Powell Avenue.
Authorities say Eriyon Gibson, 19, was arrested and charged with reckless homicide in connection to the Sunday night shooting. Evansville Police say three people were in a bedroom when it happened.
Investigators say Gibson told them that he and Conway were playing with a gun. Police say Gibson told investigators Conway unloaded the gun, letting the bullets hit the floor. Then Conway gave the gun back to Gibson. Gibson said he thought the gun was empty when he pointed it at Conway and pulled the trigger several times. One of those times, a bullet fired, hitting Conway.
Conway was taken to the hospital where he died. Gibson is being held in the Vanderburgh County Detention Center without bond.
(This story was originally published on July 5, 2020)
LATEST CRIME NEWS:
- Two facing charges after police chase in Henderson
- Third suspect in woman’s death pleads guilty
- Court reverses release of man convicted in Jill Behrman murder, appeal overturned
- Suspect arrested after pursuit in Henderson
- Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office warns of Social Security scam