EPD: Man dies hours after fight with police

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT)- Evansville Police say a man who resisted arrest died after fighting with officers in a motel parking lot on the northside. 37-year-old Steven Beasley died at the hospital after police say he stopped breathing during the struggle. It began Wednesday night at the Econo Lodge off Highway 41.

An employee at the hotel called police after seeing a man acting hysterically in the parking lot. That employee says the man was running up to guests and scaring them. Police say the caller said the man appeared to be under the influence. Evansville police officers responded to the call at the hotel just off U.S. 41 near Pigeon Creek. One officer arrived on scene first.

“Approach that person later identified as Steven Bradley Beasley 37-year-old white male in the parking lot it was doing his best to calm Mr. Beasley down,” Sgt. Nick Winsett says.

Look closely at this video from a witness. It is fuzzy but shows Beasley running across the parking lot. Yelling and trying to get into rooms at the hotel. The first officer called for backup.

“The first responding officer requested for other officers to step up meaning speed up their arrival because Mr. Beasley was activity fighting him,” Winsett explains.

The witness video doesn’t show the entire fight it does shows Beasley and the officer fighting and the officer trying to get Beasley in handcuffs. Police body camera footage from backup officers show when they were able to get him on the ground and in handcuffs. But the fight continued. EPD says officers called for an ambulance crew in an attempt to sedate Beasley.

“He was kicking at officers and attempting to bite them,” Sgt Winsett continues. “At approximately 11:24 pm officers noticed Mr. Beasley stopped struggling. At that point, his pulse and breathing were checked.”

Police officers say he wasn’t breathing so they started CPR and gave Beasley Narcan despite not knowing if he was on drugs.

“Aside from his behavior yeah there’s no way of telling. From the reports that I’ve read the Narcan did not change his outcome at all. It did not help him at all,” Winsett explains.

Beasley was taken to the hospital and police say he was stable while at the hospital. But died around 8 am Thursday morning. Police say from the time the call came in, to when AMR arrived was about 20 minutes. An autopsy was performed on Beasley Thursday but the results have not been released.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the
Tri-State, follow Eyewitness News on Facebook and Twitter.

(This story was originally published on March 27, 2020)

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories