EFD: Overnight fire forces family from home; started on bed headboard

News

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT) — Evansville Fire crews say a candle left on a bed headboard started a duplex fire overnight in the 2400 block of Joan Place.

Crews were called just after midnight to the duplex just east of Kentucky Avenue.

When they arrived, crews found flames blowing out of the front bedroom window and front door.

Within 45 minutes, firefighters were able to control the flames that extended throughout the duplex.

EFD tells Eyewitness News someone living at the duplex lit a candle that was placed on the headboard of a bed and left the room.

A few minutes later, that person smelled smoke and opened the bedroom door to find the bed on fire. They tried to put out the flames, but they continued to spread throughout the home.

Evansville Police officers were also called to the scene to control traffic.

Three adults, a teen, two dogs and a cat escaped without injury.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories