Fort Wayne police officer dies after chase

fort wayne police death_1536685111521.jpg.jpg

FORT WAYNE, Ind (WANE) – A Fort Wayne Police officer died after chasing down a suspect Monday night.

David A. Tinsley, a 16-year veteran of the department, died of some sort of medical event, department officials confirmed.

The incident started near Southcrest and Kent roads, just south of Bishop Luers High School.

Officers were alerted to a vehicle that matched the description of a stolen car and tried to make a traffic stop. The suspect took off in the vehicle and tried to run from police, according to officials. 

The man drove about a mile west, to the back part of an apartment complex before jumping a curb, going down an embankment and driving away. Officers pursued the man and he eventually crashed into a wooded area along the trail.

Police spokesman Michael Joyner said at that point, Tinsley, his officer in training, and a K9 went onto the greenway path on foot to search for the suspect. The suspect – 49-year old Patrick Anthony Faiers of Fort Wayne – was taken into custody by police a short time later.

Joyner said as Tinsley was walking back to his cruiser, though, he collapsed.

Officers began resuscitation efforts on Tinsley and medics took him to St. Joseph Hospital. He was pronounced dead soon afterward.

Dozens of officers with the Fort Wayne Police Department gathered at the hospital to console each other and the family of the officer who died.

Tinsley worked operations in the police department’s southeast quadrant for most of his 16 years on the force. During a press conference later Tuesday, Police Chief Steve Reed called Tinsley “a cop’s cop,” a veteran officer who “came to work and took care of business.”

Reed said Tinsley was known for his kindness and work ethic, especially.

“He was a good cop,” Reed said. “You’d hear his name only in good light.”

Fort Wayne Mayor Tom Henry called Tinsley a “respected and valued member of the FWPD team,” and said he would be missed. The mayor posted this on Twitter: 

Faiers was arrested and initially charged with Habitual Traffic Violator and Resisting Law Enforcement, both felonies. Additional charges of Burglary, Auto Theft, Criminal Mischief and Criminal Trespass were later brought against him.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the Tri-State, follow Eyewitness News on Facebook and Twitter.

(This story was originally published on September 11, 2018) 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories