GATLINBURG, Tenn. (WATE) – The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is closings its visitor centers and the Elkmont Campground for the rest of Thursday.
The facilities are being closed because of weather conditions, park officials said around midday Thursday.
The following park roads are closed due to high waters and debris along the roadways: Little River Road from Laurel Falls Trail to the Townsend Wye, Wear Cove Gap Road, Greenbrier Road, Cherokee Orchard Road, Lakeview Drive, and Upper Tremont Road.
The Parkway between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, U.S. Highway 321 also known as The Spur, is open.
Backcountry trails remain open throughout the park, but trailhead access is limited due to road closures.
Hikers are advised to alter their routes to avoid trails with river crossings or to wait until the rivers recede.
For the most up to date information about road closures, follow SmokiesRoadsNPS on Twitter. Visitors may also call the Park’s Road and Weather Information Line at 865-436-1200.
- Newsfeed Now Coronavirus: ‘Facts Not Fear’ morning update – Memorial Day
- Effigy of Governor Beshear displayed near Kentucky Capitol
- Indiana Little League baseball team holds first day of practice
- Food drive held at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
- Airports in India prepare to restart domestic flights