MUNSTER, In. (WGN) — A retired police officer was shot and killed while working security at a hospital in Indiana.
According to the Northwest Indiana Times, the incident happened around 1 a.m. Tuesday at Community Hospital in Munster, Indiana, when two retired officers, who were working security, responded to reports of a psychiatric patient assaulting a nurse.
A struggle ensued between the patient and one of the officers. The patient grabbed a gun from the officer’s belt and shot and killed the officer, the Northwest Indiana Times reported.
The other officer returned fire, killing the patient.
Just after 7 a.m., a police procession was seen escorting the retired officer’s body to the medical examiner’s office.
LATEST INDIANA NEWS:
- Memorial unveiled for fallen Indiana Special Forces Sergeant
- Fans get first-look at $25 million improvements to IMS
- PLAN AHEAD: INDOT urges drivers to avoid North Split for weekend shut down
- South Bend school suspends teacher over Right to Life talk
- AG Rokita takes further action in Big Tech censorship investigation