INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Indianapolis police are investigating after a 16-year-old girl was fatally shot inside a downtown hotel.
Police were called early Saturday to the JW Marriot on the report of a person shot. Police say they found the girl suffering from at least one gunshot wound.
Marion County Chief Deputy Coroner Alfie McGinty says 16-year-old Karla Vasquez was killed. A 17-year-old boy has been arrested and held on preliminary charges of reckless homicide with formal charges pending. His identity hasn’t been released.
Family and friends tell WISH-TV that Vasquez was attending a 21st birthday celebration at the hotel.
(This story was originally published on November 22, 2020)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS:
- EPD will not require officers to get COVID-19 vaccine
- Several changes coming to Vanderburgh Superior Court beginning Monday
- Evansville officials encourage residents to ‘love local’ businesses
- Old National Events Plaza receives national award
- Eligibility rules for Daviess Co. bar and restaurant fund explained