EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT) – Many veterans have some full belly’s this afternoon after having plenty to eat at the annual veteran’s day breakfast in Evansville.
Each year, veterans from across the area are invited usually at the LST-325.
However, this year it was at the wartime museum since the LST-325 is being worked on to move to the riverfront.
Over food the veterans share many stories one of where a pilot almost shot down a historic tower built over 600 years ago.
“There was a big gun placed right at the foot of this big, white building. I call and i said, you guys hang tight here, I’m gonna go down and take out that gun and one of the wingmen came in and said, Sandy, I wouldn’t do that if I were you. I think that’s the leaning Tower of Pisa.”
Major Sanderson served in the Air Corps before it was the Air Force. He said he is so glad so many veterans showed up as so many are passing away.
EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT) — The annual Veterans Day breakfast normally held aboard LST-325 has moved this year to the Evansville Wartime Museum, as the ship is readied for its new dock on Riverside Drive. The breakfast is free to all veterans, active duty personnel, and their families. Breakfast starts about 7 a.m., and lasts until it runs out (typically around 9 a.m.) The museum will be open until noon on Veterans Day.
Several local businesses and institutions are offering honoring veterans with free meals and services. Some offers are subject to location participation, and proof of service may be required. Just a few of these are listed below:
- Shoney’s will thank our nation’s veterans and troops with a free Breakfast Bar on Veterans Day, from opening until 11 a.m. on Monday.
- Logan’s Roadhouse is inviting all active duty and retired U.S. military personnel to enjoy a free meal from of the American Roadhouse menu in honor of Veterans Day. The offer is available from 3 – 6 p.m. at all Logan’s Roadhouse restaurants on Monday.
- Fazoli’s will honor U.S. military personnel on Monday, by offering veterans with a discharge card and active military with ID or in uniform a free Spaghetti with Marinara or Meat Sauce (offer valid only at participating locations).
- The Department of Natural Resources is offering free admission on Veterans Day. All veterans, active-duty military personnel, and everyone in their vehicle, will be admitted free to DNR state parks, reservoir properties, state forest recreation areas and state off-road vehicle riding areas on Veterans Day. Veterans and military personnel should present ID or evidence of military service where entrance gates are in operation.
- The Hadi Shriners are providing free Hadi Shrine Circus Exchange tickets to the immediate family members of our local military personnel from all branches of the service who are on active duty, currently deployed or recently returned from overseas duty within the last 6 months.
(This story was originally published on Nov. 11, 2019)