EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT) – During the holiday season, it’s important to remember there are seniors in our community who would love to celebrate, but, many live alone, without someone to share this special time.
Home Instead Senior Care offices serving Evansville, Jasper and surrounding areas are offering Southern Indiana a chance to spread joy to local seniors.
Through the ‘Be a Santa to a Senior’ program, the public can give a senior a special holiday gift.
Since the program’s start in 2003, the ‘Be a Santa to a Senior’ program has mobilized more than 60,000 volunteers, provided approximately 1.2 million gifts and brightened the season for more than 700,000 deserving seniors nationwide.
“The Be a Santa to a Senior program is all about including seniors in the joy of the holiday season,” said Ben Klipsch, owner of the Home Instead Senior Care offices serving Evansville, Jasper and surrounding areas. “A simple gift shows them they are a loved and vital member of our community.”
The local offices have partnered with local businesses and organizations to help with gift collection and distribution.
Visit one of the participating locations listed below and look for the ‘Be a Santa to a Senior’ tree on display from November 1 to December 6.
Each tree will be decorated with ornaments featuring seniors’ first names and gift suggestions. Shoppers can choose an ornament, buy the requested gift and return it to the store with the ornament attached. Volunteers will wrap and deliver the gifts to local seniors in time for the holidays.
“While it may seem like a small act of kindness, it can really make a difference for someone this holiday season,” said Klipsch. “Watching seniors open the gifts they received through Be a Santa to a Senior and seeing the smiles and appreciation on their faces is one of my favorite parts of the holiday season.”
‘Be a Santa to a Senior’ trees can be found at the following locations:
- Atria Newburgh, 5311 Rosebud Lane, in Newburgh
- Cypress Grove Rehabilitation Center, 4255 Medwell Drive, in Newburgh
- Deaconess Primary Care for Seniors North Park, 4498 N First Avenue, in Evansville
- Deaconess Home Medical Equipment, 4015 Gateway Blvd., in Newburgh
- Emerald Place, 297 S 100 E, in Washington, IN
- Encompass Health Deaconess Rehabilitation Hospital, 4100 Covert Avenue, in Evansville
- Freedom Bank, 75 US-231, in Jasper
- Great Harvest Bread Co., 423 Metro Avenue, in Evansville
- Hearing Healthcare Center, Inc., 3101 N Green River Rd #510, in Evansville
- Home Instead Senior Care, 635 Metro Avenue, in Evansville
- Home Instead Senior Care, 216 W 6th St., #106, in Jasper
- Hosparous Health, 225 W 41st St., Suite C, in Jasper
- Just Stylin Salon, 955 S Hebron Ave., Suite B, in Evansville
- Kindred Hospice, 3745 N Newton St., #150, in Jasper
- North Park Nursing Center, 650 Fairway Drive, in Evansville
- North River, 811 E Baseline Road, in Evansville
- Oakwood Health Campus, 1143 23rd Street, in Tell City
- Oasis Dementia Care, 4301 Washington Avenue, in Evansville
- Primrose Retirement Community of Newburgh, 9800 Outer Lincoln Avenue, in Newburgh
- Profile by Sanford- East, 401 N Green River Rd., Suite B, in Evansville
- Profile by Sanford- West, 5301 Pearl Dr., Suite 200, in Evansville
- Sheets, Charles & Charles, Elder Law Attorneys, 2801 Lincoln Avenue in Evansville
- Solarbron Family-first Senior Living, 1501 McDowell Road in Evansville
- Woodmont Health Campus, 1325 N Rockport Road in Boonville
For more information about the program ‘Be a Santa to a Senior’ program, click here.
For more information about how you can help seniors in your community, click here.
(This story was originally published on November 6, 2019)