Cause of deadly October fire released

Local News

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT) The Evansville Fire Department and the Fire Marshal’s Office have determined the cause of that fatal fire was due a discarded cigarette.

That fire happened on Oct. 25 on Van Bibber Avenue. Sandra Goings, 69, was taken to the hospital where she died. The Vanderburgh County Coroner says Goings died from smoke inhalation.

Fire officials say Goings had been living in the garage, where the fire started.

Officials say the home did not have a working smoke detector.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the
Tri-State, follow Eyewitness News on Facebook and Twitter.

(This story was originally published on Dec. 3, 2019)

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories