EVANSVILLE, Ind (WEHT) – Evansville Police responded to a shooting in the 2700 block of Lodge Ave. on the city’s south side Saturday morning.
Dispatchers say the call for shots fired came in around 11:30 a.m. The caller heard a gunshot in the hallway of the apartment building.
Officers on the scene told our Eyewitness News crew that one woman had been shot in the upper chest area. The severity of the victim’s injuries is unknown.
According to a news release, it appears that this shooting stems from an earlier confrontation between the victim’s juvenile son and the suspect, where the suspect robbed him of his cell phone.
Police say the victim tried to retrieve her son’s phone, went looking for the suspect, finding him in the hallway of an apartment building. After a brief struggle, the suspect shot the victim and fled the scene.
EPD is currently talking to witnesses and a suspect is still at-large.
We’re told officers are waiting on a search warrant to get inside an apartment where a suspect is believed to be.
If anyone knows anything about this incident they are asked to contact the Evansville Police Department’s Detective Office.
(This story was originally published on October 3, 2020)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS:
- Vanderburgh County Health Department discusses weekend concert
- Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office apprehend fleeing suspect
- Police investigate crash after pursuit in Evansville
- Evansville mother accused of son’s death scheduled to stand trial in June
- HCSO: Henderson County woman falls asleep while driving, hits garbage truck