EVANSVILLE (WEHT) – At its first meeting of 2021, the Evansville City Council voted to elect councilman Ron Beane as president and Alex Burton as vice-president Monday. They will hold their roles for the remainder of 2021.
The council voted Beane in at 7 to 2. Three Republicans and six Democrats now serve on the city council. But Beane is the first Republican to sit as council president in 40 years.
“I was surprised to find out it’s been 40, over 40 years, since a Republican has been president of city council. I’m glad I didn’t know that beforehand, it might have been more pressure. I’m very happy that I got the support from council members,” Beane said.
The city council also voted on another pressing issue regarding landlord/tenant resolution. The goal is to help educate and bring awareness to tenants on their rights.
Council members said while it’s a work in progress, they feel it is pertinent to address these issues especially as tensions between landlords and tenants rise after the turmoil that 2020 brought forth.
(This story was originally published on January 11, 2021)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS
- Wabash Co. Sheriff’s Office using ultraviolet light to prevent COVID-19 infections
- Cloris Leachman of ‘The Mary Tyler Moore Show,’ ‘Phyllis’ dies at 94
- Congress spars over need for more school funding in next relief bill
- Renewed push in Congress to pass bill targeting domestic terrorism
- Deaconess: COVID-19 vaccine appointments available