EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT) — An Evansville family continues to struggle after their apartment caught fire just before 8 o’clock Thursday night at Abbey Court Apartments.
“It was an electric blanket. It was an old one like from the 90s that didn’t have an automatic shutoff on it,” said Ashley Hibdon.
A family displaced, after their apartment caught on fire Thursday night leaving them with nothing but the clothes on their backs.
“We thought that it wasn’t going to be as bad as it is. Once we got inside, there’s really nothing that can be salvaged or saved,” said Hibdon.
Hibdon and her family came home from church to find their two cats and lizard had all died in the fire.
“It’s just devastating you know? I mean we came home, it was a normal day, I was going to go to work and enjoy Christmas and everything is gone.”
We miss our pets but I’m really grateful my family is alive,” said Curtis Watson.
Hibdon said they have only been allowed back into the apartment once to take a few photos and see the extent of the damage. She said nobody lives in the apartment beneath them and that as far as she knows that unit only suffered water damage in the ceiling.
“Someone from the opposite side of this apartment had called because they were seeing smoke come into their apartment so if they hadn’t been home, there probably would have been a lot more damage. It happened so fast that we might not even be here if it had happened later on in the night when we were home,” said Hibdon.
This is the second fire in the same building in two years. The last fire caused damage to multiple units and residents were only recently allowed to move back in after renovations were completed.
Now with the support of their loved ones, Ashley, Curtis and their son Collin are trying to move forward and find a new home in time for Christmas.
To see how you can help Hibdon and her family, click here.
(This story was originally published on December 22, 2019)