EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT) – The entire Evansville Police Department wishes you a fun and safe time at the West Side Nut Club Fall Festival.
This particular fall festival is the country’s 2nd largest weeklong street festival and the department is offering ways you can keep your children safe.
EPD’s WSNC Fall Festival child safety tips and suggestions:
- Before you arrive at the Festival, talk with your child about the large crowd that will be there. Tell them that there will be numerous Police Officers and Officials that your child can safely approach if they become separated from you. After you arrive at the Fall Festival, point out Police Officers and Deputies in uniform. Tell them they can go to anyone wearing a similar uniform for help. Also, point out Nut Club members to your child and the distinctive straw hats with the various bands (bolo’s) around their hats. Tell them they can also seek out these Nut Club Members for help.
- Make sure you as a parent are constantly aware of your children’s whereabouts. Children are easily distracted at the Fall Festival, with all its sights, sounds, and smells, and is a prime spot to be easily distracted-even for adults.
- It is always best for parents of younger children to hold that child’s hand when walking in or around the Fall Festival. (For numerous safety reasons)
- Before you leave for the Fall Festival, take a picture on your cell phone, of your child/children so that you know for sure what they are wearing. It can also be shown to Officers who are looking for the lost child.
- If you become separated from your child, do not panic. Seek out the closest Police Officer, Deputy or Nut Club Member for assistance. The clothing color and style will be helpful for Officials actively looking for your child. (The better the description or photo, the easier it will be for Officials to spot your child.)
- For your children who are older and/or adults in your group, have a pre-determined meeting spot if you or anyone else in your group becomes separated.
- If you feel your child is old enough to wander around without you, it is best if they pair up with a sibling or friend of similar age. Have them check in with you by calling or texting, every 15-30 minutes to update their location to you. Have a pre-determined time and location of departure in order to meet at that location when you are leaving the festival.
- Parents, it recommended that you not allow any child younger than high school age to walk around in the games/rides area on Friday or Saturday nights without adult supervision. This becomes a VERY congested area.
(This story was originally published on October 4, 2019)