EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT)- After a rally Saturday morning at Four Freedoms Monument, near the riverfront in Evansville, some protesters have moved downtown to the Civic Center to continue their rally Saturday afternoon.
Some protesters brought milk to potentially counteract pepper spray as police stand by.
Evansville Mayor Lloyd Winnecke, along with other local leaders and protesters, spoke at the rally Saturday morning. Event organizer Ebon Ellis says the rally is meant to be a peaceful one, adding that there is goodness in the people of the community.
Evansville Police Department Sgt. Nick Winsett says that while the rally started peacefully four people, including one juvenile, have been arrested after reportedly trying to breaking through the police line. One officer and one police horse were reportedly struck. The police lieutenant on the scene then told the crowd to disperse.
(This story was originally published on May 30, 2020)
- 103-year-old says 2020 has been the craziest year she’s seen
- Newsfeed Now: Coronavirus concerns; Officers rescue dog from storm drain
- Closing bars to stop coronavirus spread is backed by science
- Kansas City Royals putting cutouts of fans in stands to fill seats during games
- Walmart turning 160 of its parking lots into drive-in theaters