Family was out of town when house caught fire, homeowner says

Local News

HENDERSON, Ky. (WEHT) — An investigation continues Monday night into a fire that left a Henderson family homeless.

The fire started after storms swept through Henderson, just before 3 p.m. Sunday.

The house in the 2000 block of Peggy Dr. had a tree fall onto it, causing electric wires to spark the blaze, firefighters said.

It took fire crews nearly an hour to contain the fire.

Heat from the flames could be felt on the street.

Firefighters on the scene said they think weather is to blame.

A neighbor said he saw a tree fall in the backyard.

Within minutes, flames erupted.

One of the people living in the home, Nickie Johnson, said she and her family were not at the house when the fire started.

The family’s two dogs were inside.

They got out safely thanks to firefighters and a Henderson police officer.

Johnson said she and her family were out of town when they learned their home was on fire.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the Tri-State, follow Eyewitness News on Facebook and Twitter.
(This story was originally published on May 27, 2019)

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.