EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT) — A firefighter is recovering after getting a face-full of tar while battling an overnight fire.
It happened in the 10000 block of Broadway Avenue in Vanderburgh County around 3 Monday morning.
Perry Township firefighters were called in after a report of a detached garage fire.
Fire authorities say when they got there, there wasn’t a single piece of wood that wasn’t on fire.
We’re told a lawn mower and a car were destroyed along with the garage.
Power had to be cut to the property because of some wires that reportedly came down.
While fighting the flames, fire officials say a bucket of hot tar fell onto the face of a firefighter.
He was transported to a local hospital for treatment.
Another firefighter was seen sitting outside of an ambulance, most likely a because of being overheated.
Broadway had to be shut down because of the number of firefighting vehicles in the road.
Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to the nearby home.
We’re told the cause of the fire will likely never be determined, due to the amount of damage.
(This story was originally published on July 22, 2019)