Garage fire in Evansville ruled accidental

Local News

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT) – A fire that damaged a two-story garage in Evansville seems to have been started by a space heater.

It happened Tuesday evening just before 6PM on Riverside Dr.

Fire officials say flames were visible in the detached garage. The garage reportedly had a living quarters on the second floor, but had not been used regularly as such.

The occupant of the home on the property told fire officials he put a space heater in the garage bathroom to keep the pipes from freezing.

Firefighters say the fire spread up a wall and into the attic space.

No one was in the garage when the fire broke out.

It took firefighters about an hour to put out the flames.

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental.

Eyewitness News was on the scene of the fire Tuesday evening while crews were putting out the flames.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the Tri-State, follow Eyewitness News on Facebook and Twitter.

(This story was originally published on November 12, 2019)

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories