HENDERSON, Ky (WEHT) – The Gibson County Sheriff’s Office states Captain Deborah Borchelt will be retiring from the Sheriff’s Office on November 20 after over 27 years of service to the county.
The Sheriff’s Office states Borchelt started her career in public service with Gibson County in 1996 when she spent four years working for the Gibson County Ambulance Service as an Advanced EMT. During that time, Borchelt came to the Sheriff’s Office in 1997 as a Communications Officer for two years before becoming a Merit Deputy.
Officials state Borchelt quickly advanced through the ranks when she was promoted to Detective Sargeant in 2008 and Captain in 2012.
Officials also state Borchelt served as Chief Deputy Coroner from 2017-2018.
Officials say Borchelt also served on several professional and community boards including, but not limited to:
- The Indiana Sheriff’s Association – Executive Board of Directors, Legislative Committee and Youth Leadership Camp Committee.
- FBI National Academy Indiana Chapter – Youth Leadership Program Selection Committee
- Gibson County Sheriff’s Office Pension Board
- National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives
- National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Exectives
- Gibson County Child Fatality Review Team
- Gibson County Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 114 – Past President, Past Secretary/Treasurer
- National Sheriff’s Association
- Gibson County Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Task Force
- Gibson County Client Consulation Board
- Caring Communities of Gibson County
- Gibson County Courthouse Security Planning Team
The Sheriff’s Office also says Borchelt has been honored and recognized by the following clubs and organizations:
- Indiana University Police Academy Women in Law Enforcement Speaker – 2020, 2021, 2022
- Gibson County Sheriff’s Office Deputy of the Year – 2001, 2020
- Daughters of the American Revolution Distingushed Citizen Medal Recipient – 2016
- Gibson County Kiwanis Club Outstanding Service Award – 2013
- Gibson County Kiwanis Club Distinguished Service Award – 2008
- Indiana Torchbearer Award Finalist – 2008, 2009
- Gibson County Sheriff’s Office Accident Investigator of the Year – 2006
Officials also state employees of the Sheriff’s Office will host an Open House in Borchelt’s honor at the Gibson County Community Correction Conference Room at 112 E. Emerson Street, Princeton, Indiana on November 20 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., and the public is encouraged and invited to attend.