Back to school is an exciting time for parents and kids and part of the fun is back to school shopping with your kids and making a day of it.
The smell of new shoes, brand new jeans, shirts, backpacks, new crayons that are perfectly pointy, pencils and erasers, pulling the tags off all the clothes and picking the perfect outfit out for the first day and lacing up those bright white sneakers before you race out the door looking on fleek, it’s like Christmas with a twist.
It’s all good until the credit card bill comes in and the excitement turns to shock.
We spent how much?
According to reports, the average cost to send a child back to school is about $775.
If electronics are on the school supply list, your cost just went up!
Here’s how it breaks down for middle and high school students:
- Shoes- 2 – 3 pairs – $200
- Average cost per shirt – $25 x 5 shirts – $125
- Average cost pair of jeans – $50 x 4 pair – $200
- School supplies – $75
- Average cost for Hair- Highlights and cut – $125
- Average cost of a backpack- $50
There are a few ways to save money on back to school:
- Have your child get one more year out of their backpack
- Clip coupons
- Girls- swap clothes with friends
- Get as many supplies as you can at dollar stores like calculators, paper, binders, etc.
- And buy generic, it’s just a good!