FRANKFORT, Ky. (WEHT) – Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear held a press conference on Saturday, confirming Kentucky now has 18 confirmed cases of COVID-19. The two newest confirmed cases are in Fayette County and related to a previously diagnosed case.
Beshear also announced additional COVID-19 tests are pending in the state lab. He expects to have those results Saturday evening.
Additionally, Beshear is asking that all hospitals in the state cease elective procedures by close of business on Wednesday. Beshear has also required that all childcare centers in Kentucky to create plans for potential closure that they could enact within 72 hours if circumstances deem it necessary.
Additionally, the first instance of a Kentucky individual who has refused to self-quarantine despite a confirmation of COVID-19. The governor said the county has since worked with judges to forcefully quarantine that Nelson County resident to their home.
Of the 16 confirmed cases, Beshear said in the press conference that one person is in what he called “bad shape” and is not expected to survive. Additionally, the person who was first diagnosed in the state, a woman in Harrison County, has been released from the hospital and is expected to fully recover.
There are now 6 cases in Harrison County, 4 in Jefferson County, 5 in Fayette County, 1 in Bourbon County, 1 in Nelson County, and 1 in Montgomery County.
Right now, there are not any confirmed cases of coronavirus in our Tri-State area.
(This story was originally published on March 14, 2020)