HENDERSON, Ky. (WEHT) — Henderson Municipal Power & Light has signed an agreement to purchase solar power from Community Energy.
Community Energy needs a 500-700 acre solar farm to supply the city’s needs.
It has looked at six sites in Henderson County – but a decision on which sites to use has not been made.
Officials expect the farm to begin producing energy in late 2023.
“On a sunny, hot summer day it will supply about half of our power on peak. Over the course of a year, it will supply about 20% of the energy our customers need,” general manager Chris Heimgartner said.
The utility decided three years ago to close its coal fired plant and to move toward a mix of purchasing solar energy and other energy on the market.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the
(This story was originally published on July 31, 2020)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS:
- CenterPoint Energy proposes next step in Smart Energy Future Plan
- Spencer County elementary teacher injured in car accident
- Registered sex offender arrested after being spotted in an Evansville park
- Daviess County deputies investigate vandalism at Cecil Farms
- EPD search for suspect in jewelry store theft