EARLINGTON, Ky. (WEHT)- — Eyewitness News has learned that Nichole Merrell, 30, died in a shooting at an Earlington gas station Friday afternoon. A toddler was also shot but their injuries reportedly appear non-life threatening.
Dennis Stone, 32, is believed to the suspect and authorities say he is armed and dangerous. Stone is Black, weighs approximately 180 pounds, and is roughly 5’10”. Anyone who sees someone matching that description is asked to call Hopkins County Dispatch at 270-821-1720.
Stone and Merrell have children together, but it is not clear if the child injured in the shooting is theirs. The Hopkins County Sheriff’s Office says they believe the shooting was the result of a custody dispute and not a random event.
This is a developing story and will be updated once information becomes available.
(This story was originally published on Aug. 14, 2020)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS
- Fence now up around old Holy Trinity Church
- Unity rally held in Madisonville
- First COVID-19 death reported at Morganfield nursing home
- Mushrooms linked to salmonella outbreaks in 10 states
- Human Rights Defense Center files lawsuit against Henderson County and jail officials