GIBSON CO, Ind (WEHT) Maria Hopper has pleaded guilty for her role in an abduction hoax she helped plan with Hannah Potts and Joshua Thomas.
Hopper pleaded guilty to one count of false reporting. In return she will serve one year on probation and perform 80 hours of community service.
In July, officials spent several days looking for Hannah Potts after she was reported missing.
Family members say Potts later told them she was not missing but went along with the hoax to conduct research for a novel. Hopper and Joshua Thomas are accused of aiding with the hoax.
The cases against Potts and Thomas are still pending.
(This story was originally published on October 13, 2020)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS:
- Fate of Ellis Park could be in jeopardy after Kentucky Supreme Court decision
- Local veterans get help from U.S. Veterans Center
- Route chosen for new I-69 bridge
- Henderson City Commission hears proposed law to deprioritize marijuana enforcement
- Social media posts urge caution near Owensboro tent city