Local News

Man accused in North Main St. kidnapping previously raped USI student in 1998

The University of Southern Indiana’s student publication The Shield reports the man accused of kidnapping a teen at gunpoint on North Main St. last week had abducted and raped a USI student in 1998.

The Shield reports that Roy Bebout was 25 in 1998.

The 1998 abduction took place in a student housing parking lot.

Bebout was sentenced to 45 years in prison in connection to the 1998 incident, but he made parole in 2016.

In the 1998 incident, The Shield reports Bebout confronted the woman at gunpoint and bound her with electrical tape in the parking lot.

Bebout was convicted of kidnapping and rape in connection with the 1998 incident.

Current case

Bebout faces six charges in connection to the kidnapping on North Main St.

On Tuesday, Beabout was arraigned by a judge.

His bond was set at $1 million.

He’s scheduled to be back in court in November 21.

He faces a maximum of 62.5 years in prison on these six counts:

  • Rape when compelled by force or imminent threat of force
  • Criminal Confinement while armed with a deadly weapon
  • Kidnapping while armed with a deadly weapon
  • Criminal Confinement Criminal Confinement with bodily injury
  • Criminal Confinement where a vehicle is used
  • Strangulation

911 call

On Monday, Eyewitness News obtained the 911 call where a METS bus driver called police after seeing a girl in handcuffs, running away from a truck.

Listen to the phone call here:


On Friday, October 12, police said a METS bus driver called 911 around 4 p.m., after seeing a girl in handcuffs – running away from a red Dodge truck on North Main St.

The teenage girl told police that Bebout approached her as she was walking near the old IGA store and took out a handgun. He allegedly told her to get in the truck and placed her in handcuffs.

The girl told police that as he walked around the back of the truck, she was able to open her door and run.

The girl gave some details to the police but said she didn’t know the attacker.

Officers found a cell phone at the scene, which officers said led them to believe Bebout was the suspect.

Police found him in Gibson County.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the Tri-State, follow Eyewitness News on Facebook and Twitter.
(This story was originally published on October 17, 2018)

More Stories

Video Center