The release of an affidavit is shedding more light on the details surrounding a car crash which led to the deaths of three members of a Newburgh family.

Indiana State Police Troopers are investigating the crash which occurred on I-69 at the 104 mile marker in Greene County sometime after 3:20 a.m. on November 13.

An Indiana State Police Trooper was initially dispatched to an accident involving a deer and one other vehicle, However, when the Trooper arrived on scene just before 4 a.m., he says he saw a large amount of debris on the interstate and two vehicles off in the grass.

The Trooper also says he saw a driver attempting to crawl out of a vehicle and a survivor trying to crawl out of a passenger car.

Mason William Hartke is the driver accused of being at fault in the accident. He allegedly crashed into the car on the shoulder of the road after that vehicle had stopped due to striking a deer.

Hartke allegedly told officers he fell asleep at the wheel and rear ended the vehicle. However, Indiana State Police says Hartke was driving with a blood alcohol content of more than .08 when he crashed into the Rinehart’s car.

The crash resulted in the death of David Rinehart, Ruth Ann Rinehart, and Sophie Rinehart. All three were passengers in the vehicle parked on the shoulder of I-69. Josie Rinehart survived the crash.

ISP suspected Hartke of being intoxicated on the scene of the crash.

According to ISP, Hartke admitted to a deputy that he had consummed alcoholic beverages on Saturday, November 12. The deputy stated he could smell the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from Hartke’s breath.

Hartke told the investigating Trooper that he had been drinking alcoholic beverages in a dorm room located in the McNutt Dorm at Indiana University.

According to the affidavit, Hartke went to Bloomington on Friday to stay for the IU football game on Saturday. The afidavit alleges that Hartke had been drinking before the game. After the game, Hartke allegedly went to a party around 10 p.m. Around 1 a.m., Hartke allegedly went back to the dorm he was staying at. In the afidavit, one witness says they observed Hartke drink as late as 1 a.m.

Also according tot the affidavit, one witness said that Hartke asked about driving home to Jasper around 3 a.m. because he and the witness weren’t feeling that tired and everyone else was sleeping. The witness told authorities that they and Hartke decided to go back to Jasper but would get something to eat at Steak n’ Shake first. The witness said they drove separately from the dorm.

To view the full affidavit, click here.

Other Recent Information

Hartke has been charged in the deaths of the Rinehart family of Newburgh and is currently out of jail on bond.

Hartke had turned himself in and was being held on a $60,000 bond.

The Greene County Sheriff’s Office tells Eyewitness news that Hartke posted bond on Saturday, shortly after surrendering to law enforcement.

Hartke faces three charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated, causing death and three counts of Reckless Homicide.