NEWBURGH, Ind (WEHT) It was announced Monday on The Giving Wall’s Facebook page that the wall is closing down. The Giving Wall was created as a community effort to help others in need. The idea was that people could add to the wall or take what they needed, but some have apparently seen the wall as an opportunity to take advantage of the community’s generosity.
In a since deleted Facebook post, the creator of The Giving Wall said she was afraid something like this would happen. She said Sunday a family came and took just about everything from the wall, and when she restocked later, she said she saw a car waiting for her to leave. The wall was empty again by 7 p.m. Sunday, and now she says she is afraid to restock the wall.
She says any left over donations will be given to area shelters.
An additional post was created Monday evening which read that the wall would not be shut down forever and would be brought back next year in a “more controlled” environment.
(This story was originally published on December 21, 2020)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS:
- Proposal to pay homeless to get COVID-19 vaccine draws concerns
- Mt. Vernon High School cancels prom
- Former baseball players and current Tri-State residents speak out on Hank Aaron’s impact
- Local pro-life activists protest on 48th anniversary of Roe V. Wade decision
- Evansville Police continue investigating shooting of teenager